Sunday, June 8, 2008

Die, Sugar, DIE!

Diets have never worked for me. The deprivation of all things yummy, isolation of a particular "type" of food and the constant guilt and shame of failure were not a happy mix for me. My brain would not wrap itself around the logistics of low-fat, low-carb, no fruit, no vegetables, no meat, no bread, no rice, no bacon, no biscuits and come up with something worth doing.

I'm a conscientious health nut with a wicked junk food twist.

But, this weekend I decided to take the plunge. Now, I'm on a mission to change how I experience food. From shopping to preparation to eating. Changing my eating lifestyle is the single most difficult thing I've had to face!

Flesh. UGH.

I'm beginning with sugar/sweeteners. Here is a brief list of the many faces of sugar: (I'm sure you can add more!)
Brown sugar
Corn syrup
Demerara Sugar
Dextrose
Free Flowing Brown Sugars
Fructose
Galactose
Glucose
High Fructose
Corn Syrup
Honey
Invert Sugar
Lactose
Malt
Maltodextrin
Maltose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Muscovado or Barbados Sugar
Panocha
Powdered or confectioner's sugar
Rice Syrup
Sucrose
Sugar (granulated)
Treacle
Turbinado sugar

As I swallow the last bite of my final yummy, sugar-filled brownie, I'll share an article with hints for breaking the sugar habit:

http://www.floridajewishnews.com/site/a/Break_the_Sugar_Habit/

1 comment:

Amy said...

As I read the list of sweetners, I was amazed at how many are derived from corn. :(